Thursday, July 31, 2008

I have turned a corner

OK, so I went on a canoe trip last weekend. Went a little wild and crazy. Drank too much, ate too much, fell out of the canoe too much and smoked two cigars (which was two too much). Then I went on a short business trip. I really meant to exercise once I got to my hotel on Sunday, but my body (and more importantly my mind) just didn't want to cooperate. Neither did the hotel...their gym was closed for remodeling.

I ended up going three full days without exercising. When I got back to the gym last night, the best I could do was an hour on the treadmill at the breakneck speed of 2.5 mph. And today, knowing I was meeting the trainer, I came thisclose to cancelling because I was feeling so sluggish and gunky. Fortunately, I have friends at the office who work out regularly, and when I told them that I didn't want to go to the gym, they told me to go anyway and I would feel better. I hoped they were right.

From the first routine, my muscles sang for joy and my mind cleared! It was like my body was mad at me for NOT working it all those days. Seriously. I had been slightly afraid that I had lost my momentum and might not get it back. But it was awesome to get right back into it!

The trainer didn't exactly take it easy on me tonight, but I left there knowing that I could have done even more than I did. But now that I've told him about this blog, and he reads what I just wrote, I think I'm in for quite a workout on Saturday.

It's gonna be great!

No comments: