Saturday, August 2, 2008

Know your stuff

"I beg to differ."

That's what my trainer said today when I told him he may not have worked me hard enough in our last session on Thursday. I had not felt worn out or super-sweaty afterwards, and I didn't have any soreness the next day. That's how I was judging the intensity of the workout.

He explained that the statistics from my heart rate monitor said I had indeed worked out hard enough. And he observes me as I work out. He watches how long I can do correct movements before I start to lose control, and monitors my breathing and the color of my face (which looks especially red when I'm not wearing makeup).

Today we worked a little differently, concentrating on my heart rate recovery after each set. And I'm not sure, but I think this was the first time he set one of the machines to 100 pounds. And seeing that made my heart rate go up before I even started the set!

Sometimes in life we base our conclusions on the wrong indicators, because they seem to make sense to us. But unless you really know what you're looking at, you can be way off base and not even know it.

You gotta know your stuff. And if you don't, you need to hire somebody who does. For me, getting professional help with my fitness has been worth every penny.

The fact that I am going into my eighth week is one very accurate indicator of that.

No comments: